Saturday, December 22, 2012

Apple Crisp Pie

Ok. I'm going to share with you "my" version of Apple Crisp Pie. My Mother-in-law (whom is a very great baker) said that someday when she opens her own bakery, she will have this pie on the menu and name it Nicole's Famous Apple Pie.  Since then, she has made this pie, I've been asked to make this pie, and have given the recipe many times for Holiday occasions. So, I hope you enjoy!

It all started 3 or 4 years ago, when I was given this beautiful pie plate from my Grandmother Barnes (super generous and sweet sweet lady!). It is my absolute favorite pie plate ever! Why? Just look at it! It's beautiful! It also has the apple pie recipe on the bottom, stamped into the plate.
This is where I got the recipe... However, there were weird things about the recipe so I had to alter it quite a bit to how I would like it.


Sooo... Lets get started with the Pie. It's super super easy and you don't have to wait an hour for it to bake. We'll get to that in a few... (the recipe is at the bottom of the post)

First, preheat your oven to 375.

First you need about 6-7 medium size Granny Smith apples. I actually had to use 8-9 because my pie plate is very deep.


Peel the apple, like so...

Then you want to cut the apple into 4 different pieces, omitting the core...

Try to cut the apple pieces into even slices. The more even the slices the better the pie. You don't want to have some slices too thin and then some too thick. It would make it so you would be eating a crunchy/mushy pie, Yuck!

I use my large pampered chef bowl, and fill it up at the top. It gives me about 8 cups of apples, which I need for my deep pie dish. You'll probably only need about 6-7 cups of peeled, sliced apples. If you don't have a pampered chef bowl like this one, a large glass bowl or something microwave safe will do (no plastic).
Once you've got your apple slices done and in the bowl, you'll add to it:
1/2 cup Sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
2 Tbs Flour
3 Tbs Water
1 Tbs Lemon Juice
Then just stir it up into your slices.

Next you will cover your bowl with saran wrap and stick it in the microwave. Yes, I said microwave. Trust me, you'll thank me for this step. It takes 1/2 hour off of baking time. You will let your apples cook in the microwave for 7 minutes.



While your apples are cooking in the microwave, you'll need to layer your homemade or store bought pie crust in the bottom of your pie dish; in my case the pie crust is store bought. 


Once you've got the pie crust in your dish, then you can start on the crumb topping in a separate bowl:
1 cup oatmeal
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup flour
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg (you can add 1 tsp if you like the strong nutmeg taste)
2/3 cup butter, soft (room temperature is best, do not let your butter get too soft, it's ok if its still a little cold)


You want to cut in the butter until the mixture is crumply, like so...


By the time you are finished with the crumb topping, your apples should be done partially cooking in the microwave. It should look something like this... If it looks like there is too much juice in the bottom like mine, you will want to just add in a couple of more tablespoons of flour and stir it up.

This is what it will look like after you've added in a couple of tablespoons of flour. It thickens the juices so your pie won't be watery. Take these apples and put them in your pie dish.

Add the crumb topping mixture on top of the apples and put the pie in the oven to bake for 35-40 minutes. Until your crust is golden brown. Thats it!

This is what your finished pie will look like straight out of the oven! YUMMY!
If you are anything like me... You will not be willing to wait very long to have a slice. I try to let it cool for at least 15 minutes. Grab yourself a slice and add a scoop of your favorite vanilla ice cream on top and Enjoy! It is sooooooo DELICIOUS! Trust me! My husband has to have this pie every Thanksgiving and Christmas or he is not a happy boy.



The recipe:

Apple Crisp Pie

1 Homemade or store bought pie crust.

Filling Ingredients
6-7 cups sliced peeled apples
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 Tbls Flour
3 Tbls Water
1 Tbls Lemon Juice

Topping Ingredients
1 Cup Oatmeal
1/2 Cup brown sugar
1/2 cup flour
2 tsp Cinnamon
1 tsp Nutmeg
2/3 cup butter, soft

Preheat oven to 375.
Place crust in pie plate.
In large bowl combine all filling ingredients: mix, cover and microwave for 7 minutes. spoon into crust-lined pan.
In small bowl, combine all dry topping ingredients, then cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle topping evenly over filling.
Bake 35-40 minutes.
Let cool for 10-15 minutes. 

PRINT RECIPE


Enjoy!


5 comments:

  1. OK I am so making that for new years...especially if you can use a store bought crust, because i can't do crusts to save my life :)
    it looks AMAZING!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just beautiful!! Looks amazing, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks so good Nicole! I'll have to try it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that pie plate. It's one of my favorites!!! Thanks to Marva!! :) You do an amazing job...
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. HI! I want to make this tonight.. is there a specific type of apple you suggest using? I notice you used green apples. Didn't know if it mattered or not. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Share the knowledge!