Saturday, February 16, 2013

Best Ever Sugar Cookies

We are very sorry we have been a bit MIA this past month. One of us has been dealing with some big health issues and the other one of us is in the process of selling their home and moving very soon. I'm hoping you will accept these next two posts as a bit of an apology and we promise to get back into the swing of things on the blog and bring you more great ideas and yummy recipes!

I know Valentines Day was 2 days ago and I should have posted this ahead of time, but this is a recipe you can make anytime, for any holiday (Easter is coming up). All you have to do is just switch out the cookie cutters and decorations. I happen to like making this recipe with my kids on Valentines Day and let them decorate cookies and have fun.

You will be so glad I shared this recipe. They are soft and fluffy and melt in your mouth sooooooo good! The fact that they are topped off with Cream Cheese Frosting makes these cookies the best!


I've known this recipe from my childhood. The recipe comes from my Grandma Carmen, my dads mom, whom my mom's cooking never seemed to live up to (men). My Grandma Carmen is no longer with us so I'd like to share her recipe in memory of her.


Best Ever Sugar Cookies
by: Carmen Nielson

1/2 cup butter flavored crisco
1 cup sugar
2 beaten eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
3 1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup milk

Directions:
Cream shortening with sugar add eggs and vanilla. In a separate bowl combine dry ingredients. Add dry ingredients alternating with the milk to the shortening and sugar. Once all ingredients are well mixed, put cookie dough in a bowl, cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.  Once the cookie dough is nice and chill, flour your surface and roll cookie dough to 1/4 inch thick. Cut with cookie cutters and bake @ 375 degrees for 9 minutes.

Cream Cheese Frosting

1 8oz package of cream cheese
1/4 cup softened butter
1 tsp vanilla
2 1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar

Directions:
In a bowl, beat together cream cheese, butter and vanilla until light and fluffy. Gradually add powdered sugar half a cup at a time, beating well until combined. Separate the frosting and add food color to desired colors.

** This recipe makes about 3-4 dozen cookies depending on your cookie cutter size. I was able to get about 4 dozen with this batch because my heart cookie cutter wasn't that big.



The best part is watching your kiddos decorate and enjoy their tasty treat!




Enjoy!


15 comments:

  1. I hope everything works out for the best for both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does your t stand for table spoon or tea spoon? Please be more direct I would love to make these for my little boy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for bringing the (t) to my attention. I didn't realize I did that. I copied the recipe how it was written. It is now correct above. :)

      Delete
    2. It still says t by vanilla. Is it table spoon or teaspoon?

      Delete
    3. Sorry! ... corrected. It calls for 1 teaspoon.

      Delete
  3. How many cookies does this recipe make?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was able to get about 4 dozen out of this batch because my heart shape cookie cutter was not that large. You should be able to get about 3-4 dozen.

      Delete
  4. Hi Ʈƕǎƞƙ ƴǒǘ 4 ϓOƲr recipe. GOD bless ♈̷̴ou. Wantd 2 no l1at ι̥s̲ butter flavoured crisco?" Thank ♈̷̴ou in advance

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I used butter flavored crisco, but I'm sure they would be fine with just regular crisco.

      Delete
  5. Typically in cooking/baking......the small t, stands for teaspoon. The large T stands for tablespoon.
    Just a little bit of sharing from someone who's been cooking/baking for about 50 years........ :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can I use butter instead of crisco? The recipe sounds amazing by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My cookie dough has been in the fridge for well over an hour, and it's still sticky, not chilled enough to roll out. What should I do?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I made these for my daughter to take to school for her classmates for valentines day. She told all of her friends she was bringing them. I followed the recipe to the letter and I have to say, these are the worst cookies I have ever tasted. They are bland and tasteless. So bad infact that we decided to throw them in the garbage after working so hard on them and she is now very upset that her friends will be disappointed. Its 9pm on a school night and too late to do another recipe. I wouldnt not recommend this recipe. Sorry but hoping to save someone else the trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Probably the worst recipe ever for cut out cookies! The dough was so sticky! I usually read the comments first but skipped it because the pictures looked so great. Don't do it, I learned the hard way.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haloo pak^^

    Kami dari SENTANAPOKER ingin menawarkan pak^^

    Untuk saat ini kami menerima Deposit Melalui Pulsa ya pak.

    *untuk minimal deposit 10ribu
    *untuk minimal Withdraw 25ribu

    *untuk deposit pulsa kami menerima provider
    -XL
    -Telkomsel


    untuk bonus yang kami miliki kami memiliki
    *bonus cashback 0,5%
    *bunus refferal 20%
    *bonus gebiar bulanan (N-max,samsung Note 10+,Iphone xr 64G,camera go pro 7hero,Apple airpods 2 ,dan freechips)

    Daftar Langsung Di:

    SENTANAPOKER

    Kontak Kami;

    WA : +855 9647 76509
    Line : SentanaPoker
    Wechat : SentanaPokerLivechat Sentanapoker

    Proses deposit dan withdraw tercepat bisa anda rasakan jika bermain di Sentanapoker. So… ? tunggu apa lagi ? Mari bergabung dengan kami. Pelayanan CS yang ramah dan Proffesional dan pastinya sangat aman juga bisa anda dapatkan di Sentanapoker.

    ReplyDelete

Share the knowledge!